Job Summary: The Counsellor will provide treatment services using traditional and evidence-based contemporary counselling methods in residential setting. They will deliver addictions-educational sessions, group counselling, individual counselling, crisis intervention and supportive telephone counselling sessions to former residential clients.
· Provide counselling services, crisis intervention, educational information on addictions and the effect of substance use and lead evidence-informed group counselling sessions to residential clients according to Ekweskeet Policies and Procedures.
· Utilize techniques from different modalities; such as, art therapy, evidence-based treatment, and trauma informed interventions.
· Assess stages of change in individuals and readiness to continue residential treatment.
· To refer clients to other community services available in the region if necessary; i.e.: Mental Health and Wellness Services, Child Protection Services, etc. Providing advocacy and to be a liaison for the clients.
· Develop Client treatment plans and after care plans; maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
· Maintain and update client files, progress reports, daily logs, discharge and transfer documents as required; Daily updates into Ekweskeet’s Database system.
· Provide tour and orientation to clients upon admission; Assist in arranging appointments and transportation required for clients.
· Recruit and bring in resources for clients as directed; guest speakers, career counselling, etc.
· Aid clients in designing a culturally sensitive personal self- care plan based on the teachings of the First Nations Medicine Wheel.
Job Skills & Qualifications:
· Basic counselling skills typically obtained through a diploma in addictions studies or University degree in counselling, addictions, psychology or human services.
· Working knowledge of culturally sensitive interventions and capacity to establish therapeutic relationships keeping clear boundaries.
· Awareness and knowledge of the impact of the Residential School Experience.
· A minimum of 4 years of experience in the human services field with adults.
· SASSI-4 Administration, Scoring and Interpretation Certificate.
· Maintains certification as International Alcohol and Drug Counsellor with the Canadian Addictions Counsellors Certification Federation, or willingness to initiate the Certification process within 90 days of employment.
· Up-to date Suicide Intervention Skills Training, First Aid, CPR, and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
· Computer literacy (Outlook, Word, Power Point, etc).
· Strong organizational skills; Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Freedom from use of all controlled substances and a minimum of two years of sobriety.
· Willingness to abstain completely from alcohol and psychoactive drugs while employed at Ekweskeet Healing Lodge.